Halloween Special - Talk

• Typical Day of killing Zombies

The Fake Airdrop

The Light Wand was a mistake

Getting drunk on Halloween night

Thumper harassed by his tribe when sleeping

Those were some of my most favourite moments of the Event :)

• Overall cool event!

First half of the event was pretty fun, people and zombies everywhere. At the second half of the event, long playing core of the community grouped up at a secret spot, which resulted in basically no zombie spawns outside of this secret spot. I enjoyed the first 1,5 days, rest was sadly unplayable due to lack of zombies when you where not able to find the secret spot.

• Then I'll add some screenshots too :D

Sneak attack.. with an RPG.

Zombie Polonaise:

Getting close up and chummy

Homo Deus Zombies?

ARK Hitboxes, Zombie Edition

Zeph bleeding in... questionable places

• Overall cool event!

First half of the event was pretty fun, people and zombies everywhere. At the second half of the event, long playing core of the community grouped up at a secret spot, which resulted in basically no zombie spawns outside of this secret spot. I enjoyed the first 1,5 days, rest was sadly unplayable due to lack of zombies when you where not able to find the secret spot.

Yes, the spawning was the main issue I had with the event too. It seemed zombies were mostly spawning in whatever place the most players were at that moment. So it was not strictly related to the secret outpost. Sometimes we were also sitting at the outpost and just waiting for ages for something to spawn, barely having anything. It was more of a general issue.

First off, thanks for the event! It was really fun, I quite liked the change to normal Ark, just running around and slaughtering hugging everything you see.

The mod also worked quite nicely, the enemies were fun and I really liked the balancing, in terms that you didn't just have one meta for killing everything, but you could adopt a lot of different strats and weapons to use. Pike for small zombies, Shotgun/Compbow for SWATs / Juggernauts, Firecrackers to lure them, grenades to turn out masses of smaller ones, RPGs to kill anything with one shot (but at a high price). And Assault Rifle also got the job done. Only Snipers were quite frustrating due to the hitbox for headshots being completely messed up.

The main negative point I have is what I already just mentioned. In the chat there were also quite often people asking why there are no zombies spawning, or complaining that there are none. And in those moments it just turns into people running around fighting for scraps, since it's not a 'horde' you're fighting, but rather just one or two zombies somewhere. But of course that is an issue with the mod or the spawning mechanics, not with the organization of the event itself. Same goes for airdrops. They seemed to select players at random and then spawn an airdrop where they are -> the more players are online, the less airdrops you got unless you were where everybody else was. Over night, while I was solo online, I literally got airdrops faster than I could clear their defense, so that I had constantly a list of 5+ airdrops written down, and was doing them for over 2 hours without break. During that time, I got around 4x as much points as I got throughout the day, so the difference was huge. (To be clear, within 5 hours I made enough points that I would've been at the #3 spot solely from that, and in a certain sense that's unfair) Maybe that could be countered next time by having a dedicated, small map for this or so, so that everybody is at the same spot, thus not taking away other peoples spawns.

As another idea from an organization perspective: Maybe it would've been nice to not only have purely competitive goals, but also community goals. E.g. 10'000 zombies killed and everyone who participated gets a free chibi, 100'000 zombies and there will be a double breeding event, something like that. So that people have an incentive not only to accumulate as much as possible for themselves, but also achieve a common goal.

I didn't look for the hidden spots, so I can't say much about that :) Though I much preferred the secret outpost (visually) compared to the other outposts, since it had more of a zombie apocalypse vibe to it.

• Indeed it was frustrating with the spawns, but a smaller map isn't always good. If you look at it from another side, you will see alot more people whining and crying about stolen kills. Or someone trying to get a few zombies together and throw a grenade, but someone comes and kills them all (*cough* Like you did to me :(*cough* Don't take it serious). Since the mod isn't being developed, a map change is most likely the only way to get more zombies in a smaller radius.

• Indeed it was frustrating with the spawns, but a smaller map isn't always good. If you look at it from another side, you will see alot more people whining and crying about stolen kills. Or someone trying to get a few zombies together and throw a grenade, but someone comes and kills them all (*cough* Like you did to me :(*cough* Don't take it serious). Since the mod isn't being developed, a map change is most likely the only way to get more zombies in a smaller radius.

*cough* you mean like you shot an RPG into mine *cough* :P Yeah, I guess you're right. If people start taking it too serious it all would just become toxic I guess..