Let's Discuss the Nanny

• With the coming server wipe and changes being made to the cluster, I think it's time we had an actual discussion about the nanny.

Before posting this thread, I've gone back and looked at previous threads about nanny suggestions in the past and have noticed something odd, nobody has ever made an actual argument against having the nanny on the server. There are countless posts from people who just simply do not understand how the nanny works or what it does, from people who believe it somehow makes breeding faster to helping with mutations to make OP lines, people are clearly uninformed about what the nanny actually even does. I've also seen some odd hatred for the nanny which, as far as I can see, is unjustifiable, for those who feel that way I would love to hear your thoughts.

Let's recap what the nanny does really quickly, we'll ignore the feeding babies part as it's stupid and not the point of making a nanny in the first place, the nanny simply replicates the effect of you imprinting on your dinos during the raising process. If you aren't an experienced ARK player, you can read on the wiki about Imprinting, but know that it has no impact on breeding at all.

Here is my view on why the nanny should be implemented. The imprinting mechanic requires no skill nor does it require you to actually even play the game, it simply requires you to quickly run over to the dino and press E every 90 minutes. Because of this, I don't consider it to be part of gameplay at all, in fact it takes away from your ability to do other things for a few minutes that are actually gameplay related. Since this mechanic isn't gameplay related and won't impact the server economy or difficulty at all, why would we want the players to waste their time or be prevented from doing other activities? The nanny is the perfect solution to this problem.

Please, if you don't understand what the nanny does then do not post. I would especially like to hear from some staff members. Especially, Gunnsen who I saw abruptly ended the last suggestion forum without any reasoning. You always struck me as one of the most reasonable staff members on the cluster so I hope there is more reasoning behind the decision. I simply want GD to be the best cluster it can be.

• i understand your point of view

but what's the point of PVE if you remove the hard components, and lets be honest imprinting is an important thing and if the player really cares to improve the stats of his dino(not line) he should dedicate time , plus we can have some help with imprinting on events

so in my opinion the Nanny affect the challenge and difficulty of the game

• i understand your point of view

but what's the point of PVE if you remove the hard components, and lets be honest imprinting is an important thing and if the player really cares to improve the stats of his dino(not line) he should dedicate time , plus we can have some help with imprinting on events

so in my opinion the Nanny affect the challenge and difficulty of the game

I do not understad "the difficulty" of log into the game and do the imprint once every 90' or so. I, as Beerus, do not understad why couldn't get the nanny active as imprint is just press E or walk some seconds.

• Having had plenty of discussions about the nanny in the past (one or two of those threads you mention are mine), I came to the conclusion that most people don't know the difference between hard and tedious. They call imprinting the first, when it is in fact the latter in most cases.

So here's my own opinion. I know that nobody cares, but whatever. Like you said, it takes no skill to log in every so often and hit E. If anything, it's an annoyance. Plus for small tribes or solo players, an imprinting day is a wasted day. I spent many a weekend stuck in my base, not able to go do OSDs or veins or caves (things that require actual skill) because I was raising babies. Sure, I could soulball them, but then that's not an imprinting day, is it? I just moved the tediousness of the process to another day.

Other things I heard: why not build or do base maintenance in that time? There's only so much I need to build, and base maintenance on PVE with no structure decay is literally a 2 minute job. Refill your generator, throw some fert in the crop plots, and you're done. There's simply not enough things to do around a base to fill that time.

And let's also address the nanny feeding the babies: that function is redundant. The SS feeding trough did the same thing when the dinos left the baby stage, so I had to be around them for about 5 minutes and load them with food to last them that much. Often times they'd still have that food in their inventory when they grew up because the trough kicked in.

Now for the only function of the nanny that I do think is a bit broken: it's too cheap. It doesn't need the imprint foods for the babies, it imprints them for basically free. No more kibbles and jerky and nameless venom or wyvern milk, things that need to be farmed and/or crafted and are arguably the only part of the imprinting process that require a bit of game knowledge and skill. But I say arguably, because they're not hard to get when you've done it tens of times.

Personally, I'd say enable the nanny, but either make it more expensive to craft or harder to fuel. Something to make up for that non-requirement of imprinting food items. A cool idea would be for the nanny to have a custom fuel that's crafted from every single imprint food, and each pulse to consume one of those, but S+ and its variants aren't created/maintained by GD so that's too much work for them. Or maybe have it run on ARc bars or something if that's possible.

But that's just my two cents on it. I've been playing on GD for almost 3 years now, and this dedication to keep the game somewhat hard is what kept me here all this time. The concept of the nanny itself doesn't go against that in my opinion, but the way the nanny is executed does.

• Nanny is a "must" for a quick and fun pvp game. For PVE nanny breaks the game just as gacha do( soon did). I think hatchery and soul-terminating pregnancy and the spyglass are an enough op help when it concerns raising and breeding. Nanny makes raising wryvrens, drakes, magmasaurs and similar creatures trivial and stupidly easy. You don't need to imprint every single baby after all, so I really don't see the fuss with imprinting and everything that comes with it. Imprinting might as well be "hardest" thing of pve, as it was already mentioned.

• I agree with Exo when you'r solo and raising a line an imprinting day is a wasted day.
    It's hard to time things perfectly to do a cave or OSD or other and imagine what it is when you raise solo several line on several servers.
    It's not hard it's tedious and you can't play next to it.

I don't know about enabling the nanny, i never used it but that should be mentionned ;)

• I realy doupt most people will be willing to pay 30+ Euros for the map because of one dino, even if it imprints. Most people don't even have Genesis 1.

I doubt it will even imprint, most likely it'll be a discount daeodon ripoff with an AOE that keeps babies fed.

But even if it does imprints, people with the DLC will be selling it to those without. Same as with Extinction or Gen 1 dinos.

• I really like this response and agree with it in every way. If the nanny were to be enabled, I would support it being extremely hard to get. I would have no problem with a single nanny costing millions of metal (although you are a bit limited since the replicator has 600 slots) or something hard to get like an alpha dragon trophy or something similar. I personally think having to kill the alpha dragon in exchange for getting to skip something that is only tedious and takes no skill is a perfect tradeoff.

• Nanny is a "must" for a quick and fun pvp game. For PVE nanny breaks the game just as gacha do( soon did). I think hatchery and soul-terminating pregnancy and the spyglass are an enough op help when it concerns raising and breeding. Nanny makes raising wryvrens, drakes, magmasaurs and similar creatures trivial and stupidly easy. You don't need to imprint every single baby after all, so I really don't see the fuss with imprinting and everything that comes with it. Imprinting might as well be "hardest" thing of pve, as it was already mentioned.

How would the nanny impact raising any of those creatures? Currently, all of them do not need to be fed during baby stage so no help there and imprinting on them is far easier than many other dinos. Imprinting is valuable if you are at the end game and wish to raise a strong army for something like the titans. Players who have reached this stage will only find imprinting tedious not a challenge by any means at all.

I don't think you understand what the nanny does.

• I don´t really see the point in having a Nanny, i get the tedious part about imprinting but to be real you only do imprint on a few dinos.

When breeding for better lines you don´t imprint =/ Not sure about the N+ mod but i think the Cloning machine keeps imprints so you spend time on 2 rexxes with imprint and then clone them.

Been playing alot on the server and sure I want the Nanny as well, but if you think about it, its kinda useless.

Save up your dinos you wanna imprint and take one day for it on an event, then clone them.

I don´t really care if it´s enabled or not.

• Cloning imprinted dinos won't be as easy as it used to be. People won't have dinos with only one stat high for a while. Cloning will be way too expensive as gachas aren't a thing anymore, only extinction is the way, but not even at the start.

• How would the nanny impact raising any of those creatures? Currently, all of them do not need to be fed during baby stage so no help there and imprinting on them is far easier than many other dinos. Imprinting is valuable if you are at the end game and wish to raise a strong army for something like the titans. Players who have reached this stage will only find imprinting tedious not a challenge by any means at all.

I don't think you understand what the nanny does.

Lol, your joking right? I wouldn't be commenting if I didn't know what the nanny is.

Feeding them is irrelevant with the growth speed. That's never even been an ishue with the nanny.
    Aside from cuddles and walks, wyvrens and such will also ask for wyvern milk, primal crystal, etc. Nanny imprints those creature for free. as in, with nanny, there is no need to get wry milk, etc. Or kibble, prime fish meat, jerky and other stuff that rexes and gigas and everything else will ask for imprint. Nanny imprints everything for free along with feeding babbies that need to be fed until juvenale. as long as you keep her powered and babys close enough to her anyway.
    I always imprint the creatures I'm using, be it for bosses, drops, titans, or just farming. I only don't imprint the breeders. And I was solo and did solo bosses and purple drops. Raising and imprinting is just about planning out your time while u wait for another imprint. You don't just stand beside the dinos and watch their imprint timer go to 0. So, as a solo player, I really don't see a point in having her. I set a timer on my phone, go make dinner, or farm resourses, or do whatever i feel like ingame, or rl. If I'm incapable of imprinting 3, 5 or 10 dinos at a time, I might as well start play tetris lol. its pve after all, you don't need 100 rexes on standby. :D
    The only real ishues are gigas, tusos and Yutys as they take a long ass time to grow and ask lots of imprints. Others are 3-5 imprints. That's why we have occasional breeding events.

Exo and Thumper, I agree with u both.

• Lol, your joking right? I wouldn't be commenting if I didn't know what the nanny is.

Feeding them is irrelevant with the growth speed. That's never even been an ishue with the nanny.
    Aside from cuddles and walks, wyvrens and such will also ask for wyvern milk, primal crystal, etc. Nanny imprints those creature for free. as in, with nanny, there is no need to get wry milk, etc. Or kibble, prime fish meat, jerky and other stuff that rexes and gigas and everything else will ask for imprint. Nanny imprints everything for free along with feeding babbies that need to be fed until juvenale. as long as you keep her powered and babys close enough to her anyway.
    I always imprint the creatures I'm using, be it for bosses, drops, titans, or just farming. I only don't imprint the breeders. And I was solo and did solo bosses and purple drops. Raising and imprinting is just about planning out your time while u wait for another imprint. You don't just stand beside the dinos and watch their imprint timer go to 0. So, as a solo player, I really don't see a point in having her. I set a timer on my phone, go make dinner, or farm resourses, or do whatever i feel like ingame, or rl. If I'm incapable of imprinting 3, 5 or 10 dinos at a time, I might as well start play tetris lol. its pve after all, you don't need 100 rexes on standby. :D
    The only real ishues are gigas, tusos and Yutys as they take a long ass time to grow and ask lots of imprints. Others are 3-5 imprints. That's why we have occasional breeding events.

Exo and Thumper, I agree with u both.

Our tribe has about 500 fully imprinted 255 melee gigas, as you can imagine it took a long time and absolutely no skill.

In regards to the creatures with custom foods for imprinting/raising if you were finding that challenging I don't really know what to say, I think requiring players for farm 2 million metal or beat the alpha dragon to make even a single nanny is a far greater challenge. The dinos that have those special foods are also quite weak and you really only need a handful of them (for example you only really need 1 good magmasaur or rock drake), I think basing a decision off of something like that compared to making rex/giga armies is a bit foolish.

• Hey, we (Admin/Owners) talked about the Nanny and we decidet to keep the Nanny out of the Servers.

BUT

we are talking about something that could affect the Nanny

So look forward to the wipe and all other announcements :igelballoon:

• Gunnsen

Added the Label Declined