New PvE cluster - questions

• Questions taken from today's discussion in Discord:

Does this mean all progress is lost?

Yes, everything will be wiped: characters, dinos, bases, ARc bars, ghost coins.

I have a question though i don't see a stack mod on the post is that normal ?

Stacks will be made with server config, and item weight will be changed with a plugin - no mod needed, less to load!

How fast will the gen 2 server be up after its release

As soon as possible. There are always some issues when a new DLC is released (on the dev side) so it should be up a few hours (or less) after the map is released, whenever owners are available to set it up.

Can we get the map saves?

No, sorry. People could use these saves to host their own servers, which is not welcome.

What about a database to only access your personal files?

Cant just cut out your bases, dinos and other custom data and paste it to a fresh savefile

How big is even the savelife? isnt it like a couple of gigabytes for all maps now?

For Ragnarok it's 1.4gb now

Is it posible to upload everything and download my stuff in Singleplayer?

No.

"Transfers between all maps (except Genesis part 2) will be open." what does this mean?

You can transfer between the maps like now, but you can't transfer dinos/items to/from genesis 2 once it's released, the transfer will be enabled some time later

When will you be able to transfer stuff to gen 2?

It's not decided yet. Time will tell if there are no items or dinos that would ruin the entire concept. Probably around 1 month.

It might be also in two steps.
    1. Transfer stuff
    to genesis 2
    2. Transfer stuff
    from genesis 2 to other maps

Does this mean GC is reset as well?

Yes.

Will be soul traps enabled in caves this time ?

No.

is there still going to be a base limit per map?

Yes, same restriction, 1 base + 1 outpost

There is a wipe happening?

Yup.

Also what about the bosses? Element will be super annoying without gachas, will the bosses have their drops slightly increased to make it worth farming them?

Bosses will drop vanilla amount of Element, but they will also drop fishing rods and tek items.

Shiny dinos will give tek engrams too ?

No, it's disabled.

Kat must be happy

You have no idea.

I didnt know they did server wipes

The server was meant to run as long as possible, but as explained in the announcement - it couldnt be avoided. Previous wipe was 3 years ago.

Since there will be a limit on bp's, if you get a good giga saddle for exemple ofc you would want to get the max out of it so you will mindwipe. But mindwiping is a pain in the ass so will there be any mods to help this?

Now you will auto learn all engrams (from all maps), and don't worry - it shouldnt cause any lags. There is also a Brainwash Stew in the N+ mod, it's a mindwipe that doesnt remove your engrams.

Are the shinies just cosmetics? Or better stats like tek dinos?

Most shinies have just a fancy colorset, but there are some with special abilities, read here: https://steamcommunity.com/wor…8122/1752402450227658533/

Mind that shinies will be very rare and hard to find (no tracker).

Quick question: does this mean items some dinos drop like spino sails are transferable, or just the trophies bosses drop

Dino trophies will be transferable.

Edited once, last by Kat ().

• Also what about the bosses? Element will be super annoying without gachas, will the bosses have their drops slightly increased to make it worth farming them?

Bosses will drop vanilla amount of Element, but they will also drop fishing rods and tek items.

Interesting. Will the fishing be more useful? Or were the fishing rods added to bosses for another reason?

• Interesting. Will the fishing be more useful? Or were the fishing rods added to bosses for another reason?

Fishing table is edited, you can now loot chibis, skins, tools, weapons, blueprints, but also resources or soultraps... Feeling lucky? Fishing rods aren't that easy to get, especially since many people are afraid of deep water. So you can run a boss, get a rod, then go hunt some chibis. Fair enough? O_o

• Is the fishing table boosted though because to get something barely interresting you have to catch 2.0 salmon witch are a pain to find, a pain to trap, and even worst a pain to catch because of the sequence of letter you have to enter you just can't catch big fishes without cheats :/ (and i am the proud owner of the "postman" achievement in World of warcraft :D)

• Is there a place that we can discuss changes with the ownership/those making changes?

I personally have had a gripe about the nanny not being enabled for a long time, but put up with it since I did enjoy the rest of GD. I know this is a topic that people always seem to get upset about but personally I will never change my mind that imprinting was a mistake for ARK and provides nothing of value to the game, but is unavoidable since the game content is balanced around it. I feel as though you reach a certain point where you are logging in every 90 minutes, hitting the E button on your keyboard, and then logging off which just simply isn't fun nor is it a challenge by any means.

If these changes are unwilling to be discussed at all then that's fine, I will simply move to another cluster. I've enjoyed my 2k hours here on GD but I don't think I can take another 200+ hours of waiting around my house for a full day just to press E on my gigas every 90 minutes.

• I think the nanny should be enabled during breeding events, that would make sens. Might technically be a problem to remove after though.

• Is there a place that we can discuss changes with the ownership/those making changes?

I personally have had a gripe about the nanny not being enabled for a long time, but put up with it since I did enjoy the rest of GD. I know this is a topic that people always seem to get upset about but personally I will never change my mind that imprinting was a mistake for ARK and provides nothing of value to the game, but is unavoidable since the game content is balanced around it. I feel as though you reach a certain point where you are logging in every 90 minutes, hitting the E button on your keyboard, and then logging off which just simply isn't fun nor is it a challenge by any means.

If these changes are unwilling to be discussed at all then that's fine, I will simply move to another cluster. I've enjoyed my 2k hours here on GD but I don't think I can take another 200+ hours of waiting around my house for a full day just to press E on my gigas every 90 minutes.

I think the nanny should be enabled during breeding events, that would make sens. Might technically be a problem to remove after though.

The team has tried the suggestion of enabling the nanny during the breeding event, (at least when I was in the team) we simply could not arrive at a solution that allowed the nanny to be used exclusively for the event.

And to circle back to the issue of having the nanny enabled permanently - OP lines would become very easy to breed and imprint, imo GD has always wanted to maintain a balance between fun, and effort that is rewarded, and it is unlikely for this reason that it would be enabled.

*THESE ARE JUST MY OBSERVATIONS AND OPINIONS, NOT THE TEAM*

• Is the fishing table boosted though because to get something barely interresting you have to catch 2.0 salmon witch are a pain to find, a pain to trap, and even worst a pain to catch because of the sequence of letter you have to enter you just can't catch big fishes without cheats :/

It's not boosted, that would be against the concept. You still have to look for big fish, not sure how big since fishing is still in testing and polishing phase, but i was getting 100+ saddles from 1.8+ fish.

• My timing is horrible :D just got some of my friends into playing ARK, and got them all to come to the servers and a wipe gets announced. However, this is also amazing xD It's gonna be challenging again. No Gacha's in my opinion is the best decision :D While I like comfort of life additions in games, but ones that remove the need to actually play the game (like nanny's and gacha's) just make it very boring very fast. And yeah the marketplace became oversaturated with cheap items, removing the need to put in effort to farm or tame. The Oil Baron removed the need to farm oil :D Would you ever consider making Ghost Coins/Ark Bars time limited? So that they would have an expiration, use em or lose em. Maybe that would add a little balance and prevent hoarding and too much of them circulating in the system, the marketplace would have to remain competitive.

• Why disable the shiny dino tekgram learning ? it's a fun alternative way to learn engrams, sometime ppl don't want to raise a rex army because it's boring

i dont know the exact reasoning behind it, maybe Cherie or some other team member can answer this question. I can just point out that you can get tekgrams from bosses, but also from Extinction titans - and they don't require a rex army. What is more, shinies will be very rare and once you find them, you will want to tame them for their special abilities rather than kill. And getting a tekgram for killing a dino, so with nearly no effort, sounds a bit too easy, which is against the concept?

Does this mean any blueprint will be destroyed after 20 crafts or just tek?

All regular BPs are limited to 20 crafts. Tek remains at 3 crafts.

Just wondering why do blueprints get a max craft? what is the reasoning for it?

As stated in the announcement:

"We optimized the loot system and limited blueprints in crafts in order to make important and rare loot really valuable again. Gone are the days when the cluster was flooded with capped items at dumping prices. The hunt for loot has a purpose again and every blueprint found is of value."

Have these decor mods been tested coz I was on a server with decor mods idk which ones and it was hellllla laggy when going past bases

Client FPS drop that happens when rendering bases is caused by the overall amount of structures (and dinos) that have to be rendered, it's not affected by modded structures per se. What can affect it is the amount of details on these structues - maybe you noticed that stone bases render more slowly than tek ones (unless they have tek shield, that's bad too). So if you dont decorate your base like a christmas tree, you wont cause much of an extra lag.

Do we keep our Patreon recolour tokens ?

Yes, you do.

what do you think GD am I fool you could come with another plan instead complete wipe?

As explained in the announcement, the wipe is needed to implement the new concept. Old concept didnt work out in the long term, but still a server running for 3 years is quite impressive - and in case of PvE, where you just hoard stuff, it gets oversaturated in time, and people that have too much just give it away to newcomers, ruining their experience and making them finish the game in a week and quit, which is not desired.

What does this mean Custom wild dino level distribution?

By default, on lore maps you have dinos spawning on mostly low levels (GD uses a plugin to boost them), while modded maps are dominated by high levels of wild dinos. Custom distribution means that now dinos will be spawning on the whole available range of levels.

This is exciting. Are any new mods being introduced?

New modlist: https://steamcommunity.com/wor…iledetails/?id=2472340536

• Why disable the shiny dino tekgram learning ? it's a fun alternative way to learn engrams, sometime ppl don't want to raise a rex army because it's boring

i dont know the exact reasoning behind it, maybe Cherie or some other team member can answer this question. I can just point out that you can get tekgrams from bosses, but also from Extinction titans - and they don't require a rex army. What is more, shinies will be very rare and once you find them, you will want to tame them for their special abilities rather than kill. And getting a tekgram for killing a dino, so with nearly no effort, sounds a bit too easy, which is against the concept?

Tek stuff is endgame content and we did not want to make it too easy to get

• It's not boosted, that would be against the concept. You still have to look for big fish, not sure how big since fishing is still in testing and polishing phase, but i was getting 100+ saddles from 1.8+ fish.

That's still very good though. With limited crafts, people will run caves and OSDs more often, so a lot of competition. Fishing will offer an alternative way to get BPs this way, and there are good fishing spots on some maps.

Also, did the team consider adding BP crates to the reward vault? It could be a good GC sink and with limited crafts it wouldn't be OP either. Or should I make this a suggestion post instead of a question here?

• The team has tried the suggestion of enabling the nanny during the breeding event, (at least when I was in the team) we simply could not arrive at a solution that allowed the nanny to be used exclusively for the event.

And to circle back to the issue of having the nanny enabled permanently - OP lines would become very easy to breed and imprint, imo GD has always wanted to maintain a balance between fun, and effort that is rewarded, and it is unlikely for this reason that it would be enabled.

*THESE ARE JUST MY OBSERVATIONS AND OPINIONS, NOT THE TEAM*

But how would the nanny impact OP lines being created? All it does is imprint on the dinos and nothing more, the processes of mutating and, for those with the patience to do so, overflowing lines would not be impacted at all. In essence, the nanny actually does nothing but spare you from logging into hit E every 90 minutes, which doesn't have anything to do with difficulty. I definitely think there is a way to implement the nanny while making it sufficiently difficult to obtain.

It just seems like this latest round of changes is in favor of the RP players to the exclusion of hardcore players.

• Imprinting is the difference between surviving and dying in boss fights. Don't forget the base-level boost the dino gets for being imprinted, plus the bonus you get for riding the dino. Also take into account that the base-level stat boost can further be augmented by being mate boosted. It might not seem like a lot, but to put it into some perspective for you, my base 50 Melee Damage giga (no imprint) deals about 1,400 damage per bite, non-mate boosted. a 100% imprint giga chomps for over 3k. Mate-boosted damage is over 4k. What you're asking is to have access to is an -improved- version of your breeding line without having to do the work. In addition, one of the hallmarks of a good breeder is being able to charge more for a 100% imprint dino. Want a giga egg? Sure, 150gc. Want to hatch it, imprint it, then soul it and have me get you to that sweet 100% imprint? 200GC.

Having a nanny just means that you don't have to put in the extra time and effort for those bonus stats. In addition, with Dino Storage, just pokeball the dino until you actually have time to do the work. Sure, it might take you longer than some to get that imprint, but the damage , utility and survivability will be worth it in the end.

As a player I can understand wanting a nanny. As a breeder, though, who takes great pride and joy in his work, I don't personally see the benefit. Aren't the changes to the cluster supposed to prevent things from being too easy? Seems like having a nanny raise your breeds eliminates a good 40% of the game.

Also, if you are a hardcore player, you wouldn't want casuals to have access to the same level of power as you without having to do the work... would you? That's where GC comes into play. It's no different than WoW casuals selling WoW Tokens for gold so they can buy what they need instead of having to put in the time, work, energy (and luck) into getting it the intended way.

Just my two cents.

Happy breeding :)

• This is inaccurate to how the ARK mechanics work. I'm very aware of how imprinting works I have 5k hours, have completed every single boss on alpha on this cluster, I have thousands of 255 melee gigas currently on the cluster before wipe, and personally overflowed 2 different species on the cluster. Your 50 melee stat giga with 100% imprint will never improve, thats not how you breed better dino lines.

The nanny will NOT impact the dino base stat numbers, which are ultimately the only way the OP lines are created. The only thing the nanny is stopping is the completely mindless, skill less gameplay mechanic that is imprinting.

I've stayed out of these conversations about the nanny before but have always noticed that people on here make the strangest, and often times inaccurate, reasons for not have the nanny enabled. I'm sorry but if you think that logging in every 90 minutes to imprint takes skill or adds to the challenge you probably just weren't very good to begin with.

Are there any concrete reasons that people can give as to why the nanny shouldn't be enabled? It absolutely will not impact how strong dino lines get.

• The nanny only gets rid of the need to press E every 90 mins and nothing else. It does not affect base stats, maturation time, or anything involved in breeding a good Dino line. There is zero skill involved in pressing E every 90 mins. If you think 40% of the game is pressing E on imprints you must be delusional or arguing in bad faith.

• Will the current assurances for patreons go on after the wipe?

And just my input on the nanny thing, id say enable it, why? we can only have 50 dinos per map anyways, wich will stop mutating efficiently very much. Or is the soul limit changing too?