Add Cross Server Chat API

• With so many maps in the cluster, it can feel a little lonely on some of the less popular maps. The cross server chat API would help keep the community talking in-game across all of the maps, and make it feel less lonely! I've been on a number of servers that use it successfully, and it helps especially if you're a new player like me :)

• The Problem I see with a cross-server-chat is the general chat implementation in ARK. It isn't really well suited to a high message count without losing any sort of overview quickly. You'd have to scroll up and down alot to find the person you were writing with all the while all servers chatter between each other and you have to blend out what is for you and or your server and what is not. Can you imagine a "lvl 150 Griffin found" message without a server name? That would be pure chaos.

If you wanna chat with the whole community, you really gotta learn to love Discord. I think you can even have an ingame overlay of it if you know what you are doing. And another merit of Discord is that people don't have to be online in the game to get the message. So it's far easier to reach people once you know their Discord tag.

• You'd have to scroll up and down alot to find the person you were writing with all the while all servers chatter between each other and you have to blend out what is for you and or your server and what is not.

That was more of an issue when GD was very crowded and had like 100-200 active players at the same time. Now we have maybe 30-50 people online together and usually they don't talk that much, even when sometimes i jump to Rag i see the chat nearly empty for hours.

Can you imagine a "lvl 150 Griffin found" message without a server name? That would be pure chaos.

Cross chats usually show what map the message was sent from, so if people get used to paying attention to the map name (and honestly most people here aren't such morons and are able to double check the name before asking for details about that griffin) that wouldn't cause much chaos. It happens all the time in Discord anyway (confusing maps or even clusters).

Yes, chat in Ark is meh, the playerbase spread over 10 maps is meh, after all we play on a server and not single player to play with others - and that doesn't mean we have to play in tribes, for many of us it's just communication and cooperation with other players. Keeping in touch with all active players is a nice thing, and newcomers would benefit from it too - especially that many people dont use Discord, and newcomers often have questions - yes, sometimes it would cause clutter and annoyance, but sometimes the chat becomes messy even without cross chat. I think adding this plugin won't hurt (or at least to try it), i'm more worried about how it will work with battlemetrics (if it will affect it at all).

• Question is, how are our player counts going to look in the near future...are we further shrinking or is it possible that we grow bigger again? It may be alright with the current playerbase but who knows how it will be with 75 players, with 100 players or more...but I'll admit it is worth a try aslong as the mod itselfs makes it clear from which server the person writes.

• Most servers I've played on used cross-server chat (I've played just short of 5k hours of Ark on unofficial servers), this is genuinely the first time I've been encouraged to use a 3rd party programme in order to chat with player in-game (not that I'm knocking it). The API tells you which server the chat is coming from before the name of the player chatting and in the week that I've been playing here, I've only spoken to 1 person in the in-game chat, otherwise the chat has been dead, so it seems a little redundant to worry about having to scroll up. But, I'm only talking from the context of my short experience on this server, playing daytimes (I work evenings). If this community prefers to use discord that's cool with me - I just hadn't seen cross-chat discussed previously on here and know that with previous popular servers, the addition of cross-server chat made it feel a more vibrant in-game community. and I've been quite lonely in-game the past week :(

In terms of the API conflicting with Battle Metrics - as far as I'm aware, it simply uses Rcon to echo the chat across servers, and would have no impact at all on Battle Metrics, vote rewards or any mods.

• Hopefull we will grow bigger, when the team has more time and they start advertising and rework voting, this should bring more players. But i know servers with big playerbase using cross chat, and people don't really complain about it.

It's a plugin, not a mod - so this is loaded only server-side, client doesnt have to install it. The chat itself looks like now, but with added map name, so the format is (usually):

*steam-name (character-name) [tribe-name] map-name: chat message

You can turn on/off displaying steam name in game settings, map name is before or after the char+tribe name but always appear, so just don't be blind :P

• Mschmidi

Added the Label In discussion