Season 3 suggestions

• Hi everyone!

So we left the PVP Cluster a while ago but I wanted to give a feedback because I always liked to play here but I think the Cluster has moved in the wrong direction over the last couple of seasons. First of all I think there has been a huge change within the community. In the early seasons on the ghost division cluster players who used offline raiding and other craven tactics were laughed at. There was also a kind of agreement not to raid new players and the big tribes fought eachother. In the last two or three seasons a new player could consider himself lucky if he didn`t get wiped on the first day by one of the alphas which were all in an unofficial alliance or at least agreed not to attack each other. Offline raiding and exploiting game mechanics has become normal and some players even brag about it and post videos of it in the discord.

I know it is really difficult to set up rules to deal with all the possibilties ark is given to such players but you can comment on those behavior and call it what it is: pretty pathetic. By doing that you maybe won`t change their behavior but you would show to the rest of the community that you do not appreciate such playstyle on your cluster.

But there are also some changes I would suggest to improve the experience for more casual players and maybe get rid of some of the players who aren`t really interested in a long term cluster with a consistent population.

1. Expand the range of the Orp

At the moment it is impossible to build a base big enough to use all possibilities the game has to offer. Especially breeding for mutations is nearly impossible. It is kind of funny that in the current season all tribes are living in caves because it is the only way the get enough space for a decent base.

2. Raid Protection

There should be a raid protection for new players which lasts at least for two weeks and a protection after you got raided of at least one week.

3, Rank System

Maybe you could implement a Rank System. Tribes are only allowed to raid tribes who are one rank below them or have a higher rank.

4. Community Management

You know your community very well and you know what kind of players you got. There do not always have to be rules for every aspect of the game. If you are active on the servers and call out behavior you do not like, most of the players will stop. That is at least my experience as an admin.

So, I`m pretty sure we`ll come back for another season (that would be our seventh i think). I just want to thank you for your hard work and the mostly great times we had on your cluster!

Greetings Arne

• Kogadins

Added the Label In discussion
  • The big issue with your post is you have a tribe member who is notorious for wiping new players and being toxic. Also your tribe used a server crash to save your base this season which by anyones standards is a pretty shitty/shady thing to do in a PvP setting, definitly something you would be laughed off most servers for.

The alpha tribe this season has only raided other big tribes who either shit talked (which is fine we like it) in pvp chat in discord or have attacked them in PvP also we have never allied with anyone. We are also not attacking anyone for the forseeable future so the cluster grows and people have a chance to build up.

Offline raiding is the only way to raid this season as all tribes have combat logged during raids or when servers go down they refuse to log back on

Raid protection is a good idea but 2 weeks to begin with is probably not a good idea but I don't see an issue with the 1 week raid protection after getting raided on a more casual cluster like this.

Rank systems is to hard of a system to manage as its nearly impossible to say what tribe should or shouldnt be raided by another tribe as there are so many factors that go into it also who determines the system and how many arguements will it cause? (could be pretty toxic)

As for the ORP there are lots of different systems that GD could try personally I'm a fan of 3x structure and turret damage ORP which means bases can be raided offline but its much more difficult.

I do agree with you though the cluster needs some changes as things just don't seem to work at the minute.

• "1. Expand the range of the Orp

At the moment it is impossible to build a base big enough to use all possibilities the game has to offer. Especially breeding for mutations is nearly impossible. It is kind of funny that in the current season all tribes are living in caves because it is the only way the get enough space for a decent base."

No matter what you do with settings, caves will be the best spots to build on PvP. Only way to get rid of cave building is to not allow it at all but that's a bad call aswell IMO.

I do agree on that the current ORP could definitely be improved on, maybe enabling 2 or 3 areas per map but full ORP has it's own flaws with combat logging and other ways of exploiting it. Best would be to somehow boost structure HP, add more turret dmg and play around with bullet amount or smth.

• Hey everyone,

I just want to let you know that PvP is something I personally would like to adress in the future, especially spending more time there managing it. The team pretty much agrees that PvP needs improvements when it comes to support cases, but thats not too easy to adress with our strict rules that forbid admins to be PvP players at the same time. We will see what the future will bring.

As for the given suggestions, we took the suggestions of the past to make the Season 2 concept. I'm more than happy to discuss other settings, i.e. for the ORP. In the past two seasons, the majority of the team decided against certain settings that you guys suggested (i.e. the boosted turrets and structure health instead of full ORP) but I'll bring it up again for the next season I guess. So keep the suggestions coming, I'll personally go thru them when the time comes and I will closely monitor this topic here.

Please note that due to the corona crisis, some team members (including myself) are not able to be online very much. In fact I only have a few minutes a day I can spent for GD. There is also no date and/ or plans for the next wipe of the PvP cluster. But please discuss the pros and cons and your suggestions for Season 3 :)

• The 2 last seasons before this one teaming has been the biggest problem.

2 seasons ago there was like 4-5 tribes teaming and dominating before teaming was made bannable.

Last season teaming was made allowed again even tho we told you this was a bad idea. We started that season with 15+ people working together. Why? Because you allowed it.

I have made tickets about meshing, about how orp is not working as intended etc.

Point is you need someone focused on the pvp servers to know what is going on.

Having admins playing is not all bad.

Anyway I hope you manage to make the servers popular again, I will probably be back in the future:)

👍Koga, after using my eyes this post was a waste of time😅

• i will suggest some ideas too

1.Servers needs more maps (but i can't say something about this because of server prices)

2.i miss old gd like 3x gathering 10x taming (thats my opinion)

3. orp timer is very short 45 minutes is impossible for big bases

but i think for 2 reason we left from gd servers

1.less maps in pvp server

2.ORP

• Not being funny but when we played on the PVP server two seasons ago we were under constant attack from you on valguero on the island in the water surrounded by water falls.

The biggest problem on the pvp servers on the cluster is anybody new gets wiped too easy - could a new player protection be implemented? Like 3 - 4 days

ORP is required when tribes like yours play or you would just offline raid everybody

• Why not decreasing ORP as a function of offline time ?

For exemple : if people log in every day, ORP is 100%, 2 days without any connection ORP 90%, 3 days, ORP 80% and so on until 0.

For those who connect everyday, they have full ORP when they log off and at the same time it gives other tribes a chance to catch them online everyday.

It would also allow raiding of abandoned bases, which could be good for server activty (raiding offline bases is always more enjoyable than not playing at all).

• Kogadins

Changed the title of the thread from “Why we left and a few suggestions” to “Season 3 suggestions”.
  • My two cents for the upcoming season:

1. Introduce a combo of webhooks and OGS

-Full orp has shown a lot of problems like combat logging and abandoned bases taking up good base spots when their owners have quit since new people simply cannot raid these bases.

-By OGS I mean something like a 40x40 (foundations) wide bubble, that buffs turret damage and structure HP when a tribe is offline.

-Webhooks for those who have not heard about it: you get live feed from your tribe log on different maps to your own discord server. This allows you to be doing stuff IRL and notify your tribe when someone is blowing up you structures or killing your tames. Gives a lot of time to react for base defence when put together with the OGS.

-Some sort of raid protection to help rebuilding after a mainbase gets dealt a significant amount of damage to.

2. Lower the gathering rates

-10-15x feels too fast, 3-5x gathering rate would make completing bases a longer task which could also improve the lifetime of a season. The weekend rate idea sounds good but it makes it feel like farming during the week is useless and from my experience people would like to spend weekends with raiding rather than farming.

3. Element

-Disable gachas, they don't provoke any sort of PvP and just reward people from sitting in their bases.

-Disable all element transfering except dust.

-Tune down the amount of element that the veins on Extinction give, so that a 50K vein would give around 1,5-2k element when harvested with a good mantis and pickaxe.

-Reduce element shard stack sizes to 500 so people cant have "infinite" amounts of ammo in tek turrets. They can be refilled during combat by many other means and defending is far more favorable than attacking in the first place, soaking literally for hours upon hours without defenders refilling is not a fun aspect of PvP.

4. Tamecap and progressive release of certain tames

-Current tamecap of 250 per map is really low, forces tribes to have multiple bases just to be able to breed a basic set of soakers and DPS. This only helps out the "alphas" who would have multiple bases anyway, people with lower playhours will struggle if they need to take care of more than one base.

-This also provides more PvP because breeding dinos in one location takes less time and hassle.

-Disable Rock Elemental, Gasbag and Megachelon taming for the first week or even first two weeks. These are way too easy way to wipe bases early on when people do not have proper defences built up.

-Disable Magmasaur taming/hatching for the first two weeks since they are too good for farming even with low stats and they can "cheese" defences too easily early on to a wipe.

-Disable Griffin and Managarmar taming for the first 3-4 days because they tend to cause a lot of "unfair" PvP before people have the tools to counter them.

-Disable titan taming for the first three or four weeks, after this everyone should have tek turrets to counter them. After Wildcard's nerfs they really aren't too strong anymore.

5. S+/Super Structures or whatever name it goes by nowadays

-Remove dynamic pillars and gates, they can be used to exploit and to make really unbalanced buildings.

-Disable personal teleporters, they are quite too strong for running caves and making FOBs etc with low effort.

-Disable S+ Cloning chamber. It allows tames to keep their unspent levels after being cloned.

-Disable nanny imprinting. It makes tames feel worthless and makes it less rewarding to win dino PvP.

6. Other stuff

-Remove the "Every tribe is allowed to have one main base and one outpost on each map" rule. It's useless there is a ORP that affects every single tribe structure. Leaving hidden beds etc to scout out people and having other small strategial structures around the maps shouldn't be a problem. Of course obelisks, artifact caves and such should be no build zones.

-Make a trash talk channel on Discord where no feelings get hurt, the PvP chat can't handle my salt.

EDIT:

5. About Nanny imprinting

Edited once, last by pl0x ().

• Broodmother needs to return, free tek engrams is lame.

I guess maps would be island, rag, ext, gen and ab to be able to offer all the content, I personally think tho that missing 3 maps would make people look at other clusters. SE nobody cares about but both Valguero and Center are popular pvp maps.

And yesyes I know it's about money, just saying, it's an issue.

• Other stuff:

-Can probably remove the undermeshing plugin, they kinda fixed it.

-Remove rat hole rule, let people build where they want(obviously not in mesh), they have also been patching a shit load of spots unintended for building lately.

-Bring back cryopods!

• No, not an opinion, a fact. Of course you can now say your opinion is the better one cause you are the best Unreal Engine developer in the world but it still is not right. We compared everything, both ingame and in the devkit, we reproduced all the bugs and exploits that cryos offer and everything is just better with dino souls, you can even configurate every single aspect of dino storing with the mod while cryopods just offer "take all the exploits or disable cryopods". We can talk about deactivating dino storing in total, I always dreamt of a "Classic PvP Season" without cryos, without aberratrion, withoutextinction, withoutmost of the tek stuff, without "no collision" and all the stupid stuff that broke PvP. But just saying "Dino Souls is bad" while never ever having a single valid argument for your opinion is just stupid.

• Not having a single argument?

Last time we spoke about this we who actually played mentioned a lot if things about it, I am not talking out of my ass.

I was gonna go through old posts and talk to former tribemembers to remember all the stuff, but I will instead mention what I can remember atm from when we played.

-instacryoing(there is a fix now)

-rhino changing sex from female to male over night.

-there was something about they staying still in air if you throw them out in the sky(vague memory)

-pulling tames to inventory can be easily abused

-the dino storage thingys had aids amount of hp

I am not writing stuff to be toxic, I usually write stuff to be helpful. If you don't manage to get the settings right maybe you should start by doing that first, then there would be less bitching about it.

Ps. Calling me an exploiter after I told you how orp was broken is low as fuck, talk about not having a valid argument..

• -instacryoing(there is a fix now)

-rhino changing sex from female to male over night.

-there was something about they staying still in air if you throw them out in the sky(vague memory)

-pulling tames to inventory can be easily abused

-the dino storage thingys had aids amount of hp

• instacryoing got a fix as you already said ;-)
    • rhino changing sex: I have hundreds of Rhinos souled and never ever changed any sex on it, you sure this is a dino souls bug? Do you have any further info on how to reproduce this?
    • Staying in the air: Yeah, they stay in the air for about a second, same like with cryopods
    • we can easily disable the dino finder. Pulling via terminal is no difference to using a transmitter if I do not miss anything
    • soul terminal can easily be configured, we can set the HP amount, what items are allowed in its iventory etc. There are 61 config options for terminals alone, cryopods offer zero options to configure anything

I am not writing stuff to be toxic, I usually write stuff to be helpful. If you don't manage to get the settings right maybe you should start by doing that first, then there would be less bitching about it.

Ps. Calling me an exploiter after I told you how orp was broken is low as fuck, talk about not having a valid argument..

I know you don't want to be toxic, I really do! I also did not call you an exploiter, I just said cryos bring exploits with them that we want to prevent in our cluster cause they jeopardize both our concept and the base pvp balance (if this is still a thing, balance might be the wrong wording :-D ).

It is just that we talked about this for so long and every time we asked for a list like the above one I only found wall of texts without any valuable information afterwards. We did a lot of research and we are hosting ARK servers for up to 5 years now, you might think we know what we are doing. We analyzed cryopods vere carefully and we did the same with dino souls and dino souls work way better in every single aspect.

I have to admit that we might not be aware of smaller issues that occur in PvP as we do not allow playing admins on our servers for obvious reasons. That is why we need your input and we are really thankful most of the time if we get it. But if you only say "remove dino souls" and "bring back cryopods" again and again it is just not helpful.

We will adress all the things you just pointed out before season 3 as this is a list we really can work with!

• It was the first time for me personally, and I really enjoyed DS. I would love to see that again in the future.

What do you think about Tribe Ranks mod ? I saw another famous cluster running this mod, did you try it ? It sounds great imo.