First Impressions on the new PVE concept

• Hello guys and girls, hello to my fellow ARK players.

"The new concept" it splitt opinions as it was first announced. Some see to like it, some not...but this shall not be about a pure "I like it!" - "I don't like it" thread. All those who where sceptical were told to "give it a chance" to "test it out" to "not judge a book by its cover". So I did. I started over on Saturday as many others did too. Server hasn't seen this high player numbers for a long time (my guess since I was abscent from GD for some time). But just yesterday ist was almost full to its player limit of 50. That alone is a good sign.

The community is still as great as it was before. A shoutout to all those that make this community what it is, good job guys and girls.

I managed to get into a small tribe of iirc 5 other players on day one and my plan is to stay with them for as long as I can manage to bear the grind...because at least for me the grind for ressources is the most boring part ARK has to offer.

Since it was decided to remove the overpowered Steampunk mod, take away the weight mulitplier and lower the gathering rates to 3x it has in combination an even greater impact on the ressource grind then I had expected. Even with the best gathering dinos tamed at max level with 99% efficiency it takes like 3/4 of my gametime to gather ressources. And we really use the best available dinos for the job. Doedi's for Stone, Ankylos for flint, metal and Obsidian and so on. I hope that this changes drastically in a week or so when the main base is build and the need for ressources shrinks. Because right now...games 1/3 fun and 2/3 grind and only my fellow tribe members keep me playing at all because they really invest many hours to get us started. Thanks to all of you here :thumbup:

Taming...yes that would be my next point. It is basically almost down to, "do you have help or not?". If not then some tames become way more difficuilt then before. 7'sTranqmod is gone and the normal ones take some hearty leveling to get to the best vanilla available tranq darts. I can see with the XP exploit that was heaviliy used, why the mod is gone...but I really do miss it much...even more then Steampunk.

Global chat is an up and down at the moment but mostly positiv. You do read daily the question/demand for Steampunks "Ice Slush" for the slower tames. Once you spend an hour of your life on an Ankylo gathering ressources you totally understand why this question is asked that often. :D

Auction house is slowly coming to live too. Some early prices are totally ridiculous other are ok and again other are ok-ish for the starting demand after a server wipe that many players have I think. But it still seems like a little "exploiting the solo players" to me. ;) But yeah I get it...it is always down to supply and demand.

Coming to an end now...I would with all due respect like to suggest a mild change to the "new concept". To lessen the grind it would be great if a slight raise of the rates could be considered. A 5x Ragnarok server was on the brink of beeing started not so lang ago. Maybe the rates of our new concept could be raised to that level? That would take the grind down a serious notch without beeing to easy for no tribe players. Even though I like the new startupspeed when I login I would love to see an alternative to 7sTranqmod that offers some better taming/tranq choices and if there is something out there to make the slowest tames a bit faster, it would put all those "Oh Ice Slush where art thou!"-cries to an end. ;)

What about you other ARK players of this community?

How did you receive the first few days?

Did you like it? Did you not?

What where your nice moments and what the bad?

Please feel free to post your opinions. But keep it clean, I don't want any flamewars to happen here. I want to gather some first impressions to see how others do and what they think about the new concept.

• Thanks for your detailed feedback, we are glad you give the new concept a shot. About your request of higher rates / tranq mod I have to decline though, the rates were lowered on purpose and it is still very easy to farm if you know which tools and dinos to use. I am solo and got stone tier buildings and full electricity + electric workstations since yesterday.

And about the tranqs: You can still tame everything solo, just takes more then running up to a dino and pressing one button now, which made taming too easy.

• Thanks for your detailed feedback, we are glad you give the new concept a shot. About your request of higher rates / tranq mod I have to decline though, the rates were lowered on purpose and it is still very easy to farm if you know which tools and dinos to use. I am solo and got stone tier buildings and full electricity + electric workstations since yesterday.

And about the tranqs: You can still tame everything solo, just takes more then running up to a dino and pressing one button now, which made taming too easy.

How would you go about solo taming a quetz? I can't seem to work a method out.

Taming has become more of a challenge, especially argies when they start flying away!

I lost 3 seperate dinos and lost my gear twice on the weekend - I wasn't a fan of the changes but to be honest the risk of dying and losing everything and your dino does make it more fun as when you get back to base safely it's more of a sense of accomplishment.

The rates need some getting used to but I have 1500 hours on official PVP so I'll get over that!

I think as with everyone I miss the ice slush, it didn't make things easier, just faster - if there was a replacement for that it would be awesome (or even a multiplier on speed per level)

Overall I bitched about the changes when they were announced but after giving it a go on the weekend it isn't too bad - I am very interested in the upcoming ghost coin changes, hopefully a way to directly convert them to an in game currency for use on the auction house.

• i don't find it to be a grind, for resource gathering. My recommendation to you is play on a "Official" Ark server for even just one day then come back to this server and you wont feel that it a grind either.

About taming, it is finally a challenge again. I was unable to tame a 145 Rex yesterday because i only had tranq darts, they were ineffective! I actually have to wait until I am at the level that i can create shock darts.

Just my .02

• i don't find it to be a grind, for resource gathering. My recommendation to you is play on a "Official" Ark server for even just one day then come back to this server and you wont feel that it a grind either.

About taming, it is finally a challenge again. I was unable to tame a 145 Rex yesterday because i only had tranq darts, they were ineffective! I actually have to wait until I am at the level that i can create shock darts.

Just my .02

I've never used shock darts in my life - standard darts, apprentice longneck and a raft with a rex trap on it (or just build a temporary rex trap)

Totally agree with you about the rates though, although official is technically now X2 - back when it was X1 and you got 4 wood from each tree.... it was painful

• It'll always be abit of a grind at first.

Starting up isn't the easiest and will take time but the moment you receive certain dinos that gather a decent amount of resources.

And have built something like a ''base'' it'll be much easier and not as grindy as you may think it is. It is good that you can't have a 50x50 metal base within 1 day.

That would be too op and break the game.

As for Daisho taming a quetz solo the best way to go is on a griffin with a longneck and tranq darts or shocking darts.

You can shoot while riding the griffin, just follow the griffin and keep shooting, check with spyglass to see torpor if it almost goes down or not.

So far I've spent many hours playing since relaunch and I'm really enjoying my time.

I started in a bigger tribe with several people but ended up going solo because a big tribe isn't my thing.

Rates are fine, taming is perfect. The only complaint I have is that kibble is pretty damn rare and sometimes you even have to tame kibble dinos to get the kibble for a tame.

With just 150 dino cap per tribe and no one being even near having transmitters etc its hard to have bases on different servers to avoid hitting cap.

Other then that it's awesome I've had more fun after relaunch than the months I played before relaunch.

• Oh I do remember the old days of ARK and as I said...I dislike the grind most even with 3x rates as I wrote before. I just don't have the same ammount of time for this game anymore, that is why I have to get used to the lower rate the most. If you guys find the current rates pleasuring it is ok aswell.

Some guys said I need the proper tames or equipment for a decent harvest of ressources. But our tribe already uses the best tames for each ressource tamed at or very close to max level with almost perfect tame. Sure a few percent improvement are surely still doable by breeding them into better harvesters or by leveling them into better ones. But I don't think that the 3x rates will ever be my friend. ;)

Don't get me wrong here. I am not only happy with x50 rates where you chop down one tree once and have wood for weeks. Neither do I expect to have a huge metal base within 2 days of playing. I am just a little bit spoiled by the nice 10x rate, to easily get used to a third of that and less if you consider lower weight capacity and no Steampunk. It slightly feels like a bad game balance nerf where one overpowered thing got nerfed to almost uselessness....I am sure that I will get used to it with time. It is just the harsh step from smooth and easy back to almost vanilla that is a bit hard to get used to. ;)

• Way more than only a few percent improvement is doable on that. Breeding, imprinting, max leveling. So more weight, less flying back and forth, and not to forget, later on with tek tier, you still have the transmitter which you can use to up-/download dinos and items.

Perhaps it's a bit of a grind now, but I definitely like it more than before. I mean pre-relaunch, we basically played on creative mode. I didn't farm any mats for what, 2 months? Because I simply had at least 6-digit amounts of everything laying around. Basic mats like crystal, stone, wood etc even in millions. The only long-term goals were either breeding, which got completely screwed over by the events, or building tek bases, since element wasn't affected by the multipliers and actually needed a bit of effort.

I play solo, I now have everything of the industrial tier setup, already quite an amount of tames, and working on a metal base now. I don't feel like that's too slow, after all I plan on playing for a while.

And just a hint: Get yourself a griffin. You can shoot while mounted, making them enormously good taming mounts. Especially for taming e.g. quetz or so.

• I actually never farmed ressources prewipe. Only the start till I had my grinder. Then just throw in the countless OP items from the completely broken drops.

I farmed, out of boredom. Which resulted in me having e.g. 7 million wood. (and even that was only a matter of like minutes, since theri could harvest (and carry) 400k, in less than 60 seconds..

• I'll just give it more time...as I said the ressources dump "Base building" will be over in one or two weeks I guess and after that it comes to improving the "tier" level of the base slowly but steady. We now build with stone and some wood as optical nuances. Endgoal might be (I am just guessing here since this has not been spoken about in our tribe yet) a mix of metal and tek. I think especially for the doors, dinogates and Behemoth gates. Those work nice in the Tek version. No more opening to the "wrong" side when you want to walk/fly out with a tame. ^^

I am as a player really looking forward to the boss fights...I kinda always stoped playing ARK before I got to the point of being able to do boss fights. Ascension and tek gear is basically totally new to me and building a base partially with tek is gonna be great. We currently breed our Rexes like crazy to work our way to a bossfight able breed line. As I mentioned before, we got lucky and managed to get two female 150 Rexes on day one. :)

• So I quit playing ark on GD roughly 10 months ago or so maybe more. Coming back from official even with the dream machine, ice slush and all the other mods removed, I still feel like i can progress very fast. And yes I know some people really like casual stuff but to be fair with all the stuff the server had before you basically had everything handed to you, now it feels more progressive. There is no need to have it all "right now!!!", the game is about the long run, now play 1 weekend and have it all.

From my point of view, good changes!

• I was very sad about the wipe because I spent a lot of time to breed dinos, which I lost.

Now that I have some new dinos to breed, it's becoming fun again. Settings seemed grindy at first, but I adjusted.

So, I think I like it how it is now.

PS: If there still is a plan to make the old savegames downloadable somehow at some point, I would still really appreciate that. Those breeding lines would be really nice to revisit in a singleplayer game. (Although I don't know if that works, I just remember reading something about playing multiplayer maps in singleplayer some months ago...)

• What about you other ARK players of this community?

How did you receive the first few days?

Did you like it? Did you not?

What where your nice moments and what the bad?

I really like these changes and they don't feel like a grind at all. Sure, you have to work a little for everything and fly from node to node to be gather all the resources you need but that way you discover new places, maybe find that dino you were looking for all this time, discover that there are crystals hidden in plain sight,etc. . I always love the first hours in ARK. Those hours when you don't have metal tools,dinos or resources and you don't know what to do first, gather resources for your hut,gather berrys for food and tranq or go out killing dinos to lvl up faster. What I don't like and what made the early game soooo much easier is the AH. Why? Because with very little work you can get almost any tool/dino IF that dino is up on the AH. In the first 20 hours of joining the server, i had killed 2 200 something Pteros and 2 Argentavis, none of which i tamed. I just bought them from the AH for a fair metal price. That's how i got my first Quetz , Wyvern and Griffin. Farming metal to buy dinos. Not being able to do that would have been better and saying " just stay away from the AH" doesn't do the trick. When you see everyone flying with a wyvern above your head and a Carno 2-shots you,you'll quickly change your mind and take the easier path. I don't have many tamed dinos ( 3 or 4 i think ) but taming didn't felt that hard or long . Wyverns take like 10 hours to grow but having such a dino really puts you in a comfy position so that rate should be fine too. The only problem i can find are the loot drops and the deathworm spawn. Loot drops drop 97% saddles,kibble or random shitty armor. I have yet to see a loot drop where I can find a bp or a good enough tool/weapon. Even the red ocean drops ( some of them are in the desert) won't drop anything useful. I don't know how many hours i've played on the server since i've started again but every night for the past week and a half i've been flying around the desert hoping to see a deathworm spawn. Not being able to find one, the only other option to get deathworm horns is the ice cave which is really hard not having a good weapon to kill the worms fast enough or a good armor to be able to take the "punches" they throw. Sadly, the problem I always had with this server hasn't been resolved. Players still block major places ( like the bridge at the entrance of the canyon or some really awesome places inside the canyon) or one player "blocks" 4-5 oil veins and keeps them just for himself. Oil pumps should be open for everyone to enjoy them.